Many people freeze at the sight of something walking across their floor, and with good reason. Not all bugs are friendly and many can be an indication of a larger issue.
The problem is how do you tell whether it is simply one lost bug, a relatively harmless spider or a much more serious problem? After all, as great as your local exterminator is; you can’t call him every time you see a creature in your house.
However, there are two creatures which you don’t often see strolling through your house, the centipede and the millipede. The question is are they dangerous and should you be concerned?
The word centipede in Latin literally translates as 100 feet. In fact, a centipede doesn’t have to have 100 feet, they merely have many body segments and each segment has its own pair of legs.
At the front of their body, they have special front legs which curve in front of the body to sink into the tissue of any victim. They will then inject venom into the victim.
It is possible to be bitten and have venom injected into you. However, the majority of centipedes are small and their venom isn’t powerful enough to do more than create a mild discomfort. You could compare it to the pain of a bee sting.
The pain should subside after a few hours although it can last several days!
It is important to note that anyone who suffers from allergies could have a similar reaction if bitten by a large centipede; hospital treatment may be necessary.
The millipede is less likely to bite its attacker. A millipede has two pair of legs per body segment and it doesn’t have to be a thousand legs; despite its Latin name.
Millipedes tend to move much slower than centipedes are more likely to burrow into the ground. They will curl into a ball if they feel threatened. They will also secrete a defensive toxin to help keep prey away. This is not harmful to humans although may cause a slight irritation where you touch the millipede.
Both of these creatures generally live in moist outdoor habitats such as rotting logs, underneath stones and even in the bark. If you see one in your house it is probably lost!
Although these creatures are not generally dangerous it is worth calling your pest control expert if you see more than one of them. This could indicate you have an issue that needs to be resolved.
A professional can handle the issue and remove the centipedes and millipedes for you without you needing to risk your health. This is especially important if you suffer from allergies.
If you do need to pick one of these creatures up it is advisable to use gloves. This will reduce the chance of you being bitten or irritated by them. You can always study the markings to work out what time of centipede or millipede you have. This information could be useful in eradicating any issue.