The continuous use of household appliances requires taking care of them to maintain their proper functioning for as long as possible. Televisions, microwaves, washers and dryers are an example of the high number of devices. It facilitates the daily life of the human being. In this sense, refrigerators are essential to keep food in good condition. So, you have to take care of them. For this, among other aspects, it is important to configure the thermostat to regulate the temperature. Now, do you know how to adjust refrigerator thermostat? How can you tell if it works well or not? In this article, we offer you all the information that answers these questions.
How to adjust refrigerator thermostat?
It is important to know how to regulate the refrigerator thermostat, but first, you must know its operation. It is a device that allows you to set the temperature inside the refrigerator. The handling of the degrees is related to the operation of the engine, resulting in proper cooling when it is running. The times you open and close the door, the ambient temperature outside and the amount of food stored inside determine the performance of the thermostat. Keep reading: The back of the fridge smells like a dead animal.
The motor of a refrigerator stops working and starts again automatically after a while to keep the same temperature inside. To regulate it, you need a thermostat with two electrical inputs connected in the circuit in which the motor operates. In this way, when the refrigerator reaches the maximum temperature, you have assigned it. The sensors detect it and the thermostat contacts open and the motor stops.
After the period, the temperature of the refrigerator increases. The thermostat inputs close and the motor receives the signal to start again and lower the interior degrees until reaching the temperature at which the refrigerator is regulated is met.
Adjust the refrigerator thermostat
There are so many models of different refrigerators that it is impossible that there are instructions for all of them that are standard. There are among them some differences in the cooling systems, among other aspects. Even so, some common or generic guidelines can be established. The most advisable thing is to make sure what is the functioning of the specific model that has been acquired.
- Read the instruction manual of the model you purchased. In the document, you will find the recommended regulation for the refrigerator, which is usually about 4 ºC on average. It is depending on the content. You can regulate it between 2 ºC and 8 ºC. For the freezer, the recommended temperature is usually about -18 ºC, although you can put it between -16 ºC and -24 ºC depending on what you need. Keep in mind that some thermostats use numbers and not degrees to measure temperature. In this case, you can find an equivalence range or a similar explanation in the instructions for use.
- Once you have this clear, we recommend that you start by graduating the thermostat in half. For example, if in the command the figures are from 1 to 6, place it in 3.
- After the first 24 hours, you can check if the refrigerator has the temperature you want and it will be graduated. If it doesn’t convince you, you can raise or lower the thermostat indicator to fine-tune it.
In cases where the thermostat is regulated with exact numbers and not with degrees, you may forget over time the temperature set in your refrigerator. If at any time you need to know exactly, you can place a small bottle full of water on the central shelf. Twenty-four hours later, you take it out and measure its temperature. It will be the one set up in the refrigerator.
You should also keep in mind that not all parts of the refrigerator have the same temperature. Products placed in the bottom and on the lower shelves will remain cooler, while food stored in the door and on the upper shelves or those that do not touch the bottom will have a slightly higher temperature. The same happens in the case of the freezer.
How to know if my refrigerator thermostat is damaged?
After learning how to regulate the refrigerator thermostat and how it works, it remains to be known whether it is in good condition or if it has been damaged for any reason. The appearance of puddles of water on the different shelves of the refrigerator or the generation of ice or frost is unequivocal symptoms of the irregular behavior of the thermostat.
If it seems that the temperature is changing or that it is different from the one you regulated, you will have to check if the refrigerator thermostat is damaged. For this, we give you the following tips:
- Find the thermostat inside the refrigerator and place it at the temperature recommended by the manufacturer. You will find it in the instruction manual of the model you have purchased. Ask at the place where you purchased it or call customer service of the brand of your fridge.
- With the refrigerator empty, unplug the power connector.
- Take a screwdriver and remove the thermostat cover or cover.
- Place the thermostat indicator in the coldest measure and remove the two wires that are plugged in.
Put the multitester, which is the device used to measure the electrical voltage. Observe the two inputs or connectors of the thermostat: if they indicate 0, it works correctly. Otherwise, it is damaged and you must replace it with a new one.Tags: adjust thermostat, freezer, refrigerator repair, refrigerator thermostat, Washable kitchen wallpaper: refrigerators