Table of Contents
Features of Repair a Flat Roof
Flat roofs are usually treated with materials based on bitumen. Under the sun’s influence, such coatings break and lose their tightness. If you do not repair a flat roof in time, you will have to change the roofing material after a few years. Capital flat roofing repair costs more money.
Flat roof repair involves processing of seams between plates, dismantling of old material, and laying of coatings. Modern technologies allow extending the roof’s service life for years. A flat roof is easier to repair than a slope roof. But it is crucial to notice the destruction in time and call a professional.
Stages of capital restoration of the roof
- assessment of the current state of the coating;
- development of a repair work plan;
- purchase of flat roofing materials;
- dismantling of broken sections of the roof;
- surface preparation, laying of new soft roof repair materials;
- sealing of joints.
Professional roofing restoration implies the removal of the entire volume of old materials and the laying of new coatings. Cracks may soon form again in places where the old roofing material rolls are adjoined. In this case, replacing or renewing the coating layer is better to prevent roof leaks.
Common types of roof damage
- Water damage. Moisture gets under the roofing material, peels it off from the base, and blows out bubbles.
- Flat roof leak. Materials are destroyed at joints and seams. Water begins to flow under the roofing and destroys the roof of the building.
- Aging of roofing material. The active action of the sun’s rays, winter snow, and rains lead to drying out of the base and losing initial properties.
- Mechanical damage. Tools or shoes can damage the single ply coating.
- Detachment from the base. Detached pieces of roofing material lose their effectiveness and do not protect the roof from water.
How to eliminate depressurization?
If the problems are related to the seams between the roofing rolls, they can be eliminated with bituminous materials, ethylene propylene and rubber roofing. The mastic coats the seams, and the modified bitumen is melted into the structure of the roofing material. In this way, professional roofers achieve a monolithic roofing carpet. The price of repairing a flat roof depends on the selected mastic.
Repair of mechanical damage on a Flat Roof
It is necessary to cut out the damaged part and install a patch. Then heat the joints carefully. It will extend the service life of the roofing, as well as avoid further cracks around the initial damage. Such repairs will not cost much, so do not delay ordering services.
Peculiarities of membrane roof repair
Membrane roofing is often used to fix a leaking flat roof. It is an effective technology that does not allow moisture to pass through, allows the plates to dry, and serves as additional thermal insulation. The roof membrane has only one noticeable drawback – a delicate surface. You can easily cut the coating while performing installation work. But a significant advantage is that any cuts are easily repaired.
Features of eliminating cuts and damage:
- You can use the hot and cold method of installing patches;
- It is crucial to spotless the damaged area before carrying out repair work;
- Patches are installed with an overlap of 5-10 cm;
- A special sealant is used for gluing the patch with the cold method.
When repairing, the membrane should be spread over the damaged surface with allowances at the edges and securely glued. In this case, the part will stick reliably. There will be no leaky places at the joints. It is better to entrust the repair procedure to a roof contractor, with experience in this field.