Installing a garage door opener with a keypad is a great way to add security to your home. It also allows you to open and close the door from anywhere in the world, as long as your phone has service. In this article, we’ll show you how to program your chamberlain garage door opener keypad so that it will work with your remote control.
Table of Contents
Lift the cover off the back of the keypad
- Take out the old battery and insert the new battery, making sure to match the + and – signs on each side of the battery first.
- Close the cover after you’re done installing new batteries in your chamberlain garage door opener keypad
Remove the battery and take out the old battery
To remove the battery, you’ll need to remove the back cover of your remote. This will reveal a small screwdriver in one corner and a metal plate that covers two AA batteries in another. Use your small screwdriver to remove the metal plate and then carefully lift out both AA batteries so that they’re exposed. You can then insert your new pair of batteries into their spaces and replace the metal piece over them. Once this is done, test out your keypad by pressing each button once or twice (not holding down) until you hear sounds from it, such as chimes confirming when you successfully pressed an individual button on the remote.
Insert new batteries
Insert new batteries in the correct orientation, then close the back cover.
- Batteries must be inserted properly in order for your system to operate correctly. The positive and negative sides of the battery should face correctly when you insert them into the compartment on your remote control or keypad.
- Make sure that the cover is closed before pressing any buttons on your remote or keypad. If it is opened while you are programming, this can result in missed steps and possibly cause you to fail at programming with no way of recovering from this error other than starting over again with a new remote/keypad setup
Press and hold the “OPEN” button on the keypad for 10 seconds
- Press and hold the “OPEN” button on the keypad for 10 seconds until LED blinks twice, then release the button.
- When programming is complete, press “STAY” to exit garage door opener programming mode; wait for the confirmation chime or light flash (depending on your model) before proceeding below if you are using a two-button keychain remote or touchpad control.
Enter a new six-digit code
To program your garage door opener keypad:
- Enter your current six-digit programming code on the remote control, then press and hold the button until beeps are heard. (The first three digits will be used as a security code.)
- Press and hold learn button on your keypad until it beeps, then enter the new six-digit programming code on the remote followed by enter button
Repeat the process to verify that the new code is still working, and then press learn button on your remote control.
That’s it. Now you know how to program your chamberlain garage door opener keypad. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!