Solar is the most abundant energy source on our planet. Nearly 173,000 terawatts of solar energy strike our planet. This is 10,000 times more than the global energy requirement. Besides capturing the sun’s energy and converting it into electricity, solar panels also play a significant role in reducing global warming and maintaining the temperature of our planet. It’s an eco-friendly source of electricity that can easily replace coal and other forms of energy production units that harm our planet. In addition, there are several types of solar lights you can add to your house. If you want more information, you can learn more here.
How Solar Panels Work
Solar panels harness the energy of the sun and convert it into electricity. Solar panels have several solar cells that capture photons from sunlight and create electricity. The solar panel consumes photons from the sun and break the bond between atom and electrons. The abundance of electrons fulfills our energy requirement. Typically, solar panels can convert 20% of sunlight into electricity. Solar panels do not need water, oil, or coal to generate electricity, which is why consumers prefer solar lighting systems to save money on their electric bills.
What Are Solar Panels Made From?
When you come across a solar panel, it might look like a single block of glass painted in black colour. However, there is more to this robust technology than the eye meets. 95% of solar panels on the market are made from crystalline silicon wafers, while the remaining 5% are made from experimental materials like organic photovoltaic cells.
The semi-conductors in a solar panel are the key to generating electricity. They are also made from crystalline silicon. Upon interaction with sunlight, these semi-conductors release electrons from the sunlight, which becomes a source of electricity. This process is called the photovoltaic effect, and that’s how solar panels work.
How do Solar Panels Reduce Global Warming?
Global warming is the effect of the sun’s harmful rays reaching our planet. Greenhouses gases released in the atmosphere weaken the Ozone layer (a layer of gasses that protects our planet from the sun’s harmful rays). The Ozone layer is getting thinner day by day, which is increasing our planet’s temperature. Glaciers in the northern hemisphere are melting, causing sea levels to rise.
Through solar panels, we can reduce the impact of greenhouse gasses by reducing fossil fuel usage. Moreover, solar panels prevent the sun’s heat from touching our planet. Solar panels absorb most of the heat that controls temperatures and keeps our planet cold.
Advantages of Solar Energy
Solar energy is eco-friendly, efficient and we have an infinite supply of sunlight. For these reasons, solar energy has several advantages over conventional methods of creating energy.
1. Self-Sufficient in Producing Energy
Solar panels give you the freedom to become self-sufficient in energy production. You can have a solar set large enough to cover your energy requirement throughout the year. You don’t need to rely on the grid through solar panels, and you won’t face an electricity shortage.
2. Source of Earning
A robust solar panel set up at home can become an additional source of earning money. If your solar panels produce more than the required energy levels, you can start a net metering service. It’s a facility provided by the government to solar homeowners. They can transfer their solar energy back to the grid for monetary compensation.
3. Off-Grid Living
If you are tired of the city’s hustle and bustle, you can live off-grid with solar panels. The main concern these days is electricity. We can’t imagine our life without it. However, when you are self-sufficient in producing electricity, you can easily start living off-grid and avoid noise and air pollution from a metropolitan city.
4. Reduce Green House Gas Emission
Global energy requirements are rising as our energy consumption increases year over year. According to the data from the Statistical review of the world’s energy 2021, our planet’s energy consumption increased 1.8% over the past decade. Primary energy consumption climbed to 582 exajoules (EJ) in 2019. The increasing need for more power is causing the government to rely on fossil fuel which releases greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Through solar panels, we can reduce greenhouse gases and fulfil our energy requirements.
Solar energy is increasingly becoming popular as people are moving towards green energy. The countless benefits of solar energy are outshining grid-based power. Governments are taking initiatives to discontinue fossil fuel energy. However, the process of converting to solar energy takes time. In the meanwhile, you can shift to solar energy and play your part in going green.